On Monday, August 1st, 2016, the United States launched airstrikes at ISIS targets in Sirte, Libya.
The airstrikes were requested by the Libyan Government of National Accord in an attempt to get rid of ISIS and take back the nation’s capital. The number of ISIS fighters reported in Sirte (SURT) has been anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000.
At a press conference, Peter Cook, the Pentagon spokesperson, said that the airstrikes will target “precision targets” that the Libyan government suggests. Prime Minister Fayez Seraj said that the first round of airstrikes caused casualties. The airstrikes had been launched at specific locations and the targets would have experienced severe losses.
Cook said that as of now, there is no endpoint, but he hopes that the mission will not take a significant amount of time.